Our legacy work
Families are struggling with the demands of 24/7 caregiving of their children with disabilities. Many of these families require counseling to assist them with their children’s medical, behavioral or emotional conditions. Our goal is to give rest to the families affected by disability. We provide them some respite Saturday afternoons by giving their children a therapeutic Expressive Arts program. In addition, we invite the families to come to special events with outstanding artists in the music field that we plan throughout the year at area churches. These are free to the public. We only ask for a donation to support the efforts of KARINA if a person can.
• To help establish community-based Expressive Arts therapy for the disabled by certified therapists using the best available practices.
• To provide services and support to families who have difficulty taking care of their children with disabilities to give them relief and integrate them into the community.
• To distribute information about the best therapeutic practices available, support and training to families with disabled children.
• To provide support and training for parents of disabled children.
• To promote emotional and spiritual growth through mutually supportive friendships and shared experiences.
Areas of expertise
Expressive language disorder
Anger and rage management
Complex and chronic trauma
Self esteem issues
Adoption, foster parenting
Multicultural and immigration issues
Autism spectrum and Asperger syndrome
The Concept of a powerful healing tool
Expressive Arts relief is based on our ability to access and stimulate the imagination, by shifting from one art form to another. An Expressive Arts therapist is trained to recognize what is the best modality for each person and each moment to reach the therapeutic goals. It utilizes storytelling, dance, movement, music, drama, poetry and the visual arts in helping the individual develop his potential and heal.
KARINA allows free time for parents with children, teenagers and adults with disabilities to enjoy other activities. As the participants with special needs work with the group of therapists to enhance their special abilities, (described on the page about KARINA Café siblings can do other activities at home.
Expressive Arts relief emphasizes the creative process, not the product itself, as the way to help the child. What an individual learns from the painting of their picture is more important than the finished product in art relief, for instance. It has been shown to be an effective tool with many types of people of all ages.